Colca Canyon: 2019 Updated information about Colca Canyon Tours
Colca Canyon: 2019 Updated information about Colca Canyon Tours from how to get there, Our excursions and FAQ´s!
Colca Canyon Brief Summary:
The 120km long “Cañón del Colca” is set among high volcanoes (6613m-high Coropuna and 6310m-high Ampato are the tallest). It is the deepest canyon in the American continent (4,160 mts) and belongs to the five deepest in the world (according to current data The Colca Canyon occupies the third place in the world after Kali Gandaki in Nepal with 4,375 mts).
* Located about 4 hours from the city of Arequipa, Peru.
* The deepest canyon in the American Continent and the third deepest in the world.
* A “Must“ if you visit Arequipa city.
* It is the “best place” in South America to see the Andean Condor. The condors can be seen at close range as they fly past the canyon walls.
* It is One of the most popular destinations in Peru for trekking, nature and culture experiences.
* You will need to buy an official Entrance to the canyon: Adults S/70.00 per person. ( not included in Tour).
*A perfect place to enjoy natural thermal baths – Ticket about S/.15 Soles per person. (approx. $4 – Not included in tour).
* The valley has very colorful local markets and a wide variety of products and textiles typical of the area.
The Colca Canyon is located about 4 hours outside of the city of Arequipa.
The best way to get there is to take a tour which includes transportation, Professional guide, lodge and Breakfast.
- The tour begins and ends in Arequipa city (from / to your hotel).
- In case your next destination after Colca is Puno on Lake Titicaca we offer the option of a transfer to Puno city (Our transport drop you off at you hotel in Puno if it is located in city center).
As a Colca Canyon Tour Operator for so many years; we have learned about the different needs and interests of our travelers; many points have to be considered according to their time, budget and interest.
Colca canyon classic Tours: Our Classic 2 and 3 days Colca canyon tours are ideal for every visitor and also for families. These tours can be combined with pick up or transfer from / to Puno city. The programs offer some activities in Lodge such as “prepare to Peruvian dish, search your luck with the Andean guinea pig” and more… The excursions also offer optional short hikes around the towns and visit to the thermal baths. In case you prefer to stay in Lodge, taking time for you or resting; it is also not problem 🙂
Colca Designed Trek: This excursion was designed for visitors with standard to very good physical conditions that enjoy more intense hiking. Our new designed Treks into de Canyon. are a 3 days program (medium physical level) with a combination of the Classic 2 days Colca Tour and a hiking down into the canyon (Colca River). The walk into the canyon will be with a local companion that knows very well the area (Please be aware that local companion have a little level of English or do not speak English). This tour offers also the service of a mule in case of need; 1 dinner into the canyon and an overnight in the best lodge of the area at the bottom of the incredible Colca canyon.
* It’s recommended to have at least an overnight in Arequipa city if you arrive from the Coast (To get slow to the altitude).
* All our transports provide “oxygen” in case of need.
* Our transportations have mechanical control regularly.
* Giardino Tours Guides have First Aid training every year.
Check all our Colca canyon tours options here.
If you want to read more about the Colca canyon please check our Blog post “Introducing the Colca canyon”
If you are in Puno city and your want to book some of our Excursions to the Colca canyon for 2 or 3 days with end in Arequipa city; we can provide you with the transfer from Puno to Chivay town in Colca valley (the service has an extra charge).
The transport will pick you up from your hotel between 6:00 to 6:15 am arriving at Chivay town approximately at noon, where you will join our Colca canyon Classic Tours (Group tour max. 14 persons) and keep the program according to the itinerary.
The excursions will end in Arequipa city in your hotel.
Check with us by e-mail for the additional cost of this service:
Will I see Condors on these tours?
The Colca canyon is the “best place” in South America to see the Andean Condor and during our tours we will visit different viewing points to increase the chances to experience them closely. But we cannot guarantee that you will be able to see them, but if you get lucky they will fly just above your head! 🙂
Can I finish in Puno instead of Arequipa?
Yes, this is possible! Normally the last day of our excursion we will return to Chivay town about 12 PM and you will have also time for lunch before departing to Puno. The transfer to Puno could be organized with our transportation or with a Tourist Bus Company that offers this service. The coordination and logistic will be in our hands, so you don’t need to be worry and only relax and enjoy the tour! :). You will be arriving in Puno about 7 PM, and the drop off will be in your hotel (If it is located in city center), if your hotel is located out side of city center an extra charge can be added for transfer to your hotel.
I do not want to take all of my luggage to the tour. Where can I leave my luggage?
For excursion to Colca canyon with return to Arequipa city, hotels and hostels will normally store luggage in their safety deposit for free until you check-in again in your return. In case your trip keep forward to Puno city, please inform us with time so we can organized you with a group with similar schedule and provide with a transport with enough luggage space.
I want to do the Designed Trek to Colca but I am not traveling with any camping equipment.
You do not need any special equipment for our trekking to Colca canyon. The overnights take place in basic rustic lodges at the bottom of the Canyon (provide bed, blankets and bathroom). But it can get cold at nights and there is not heating, so it is important that you take with you warms clothes for the night and also light clothes for the day because can get very hot. – Very good Trekking shoes or boots is important.
I am afraid about altitude sickness on tours of the Colca Canyon?
Altitude sickness can catch many travelers and normally we recommend that clients stay at least one night in Arequipa city in order to help to get to altitude. To drink Coca Tea the frist day that you arrive to Arequipa will be very helpful! Also it is important to avoid alcoholic drinks and try to drink a lot of water. In our tours our transportation provides “oxygen” in case of need.
Please check our “TIPS” in this link about “Altitude sickness”.
For Classic Tours to Colca Canyon.
- Water bottle.
- Original passport.
- Local money (Soles).
- Swimsuit for the Hot springs.
- Very good Sunscreen and Sunglasses.
- Warm jacket.
- Walking shoes and personal medication.
For Designed Treks – Colca Canyon.
- Photocopy of passport.
- Light backpack
- 1.5 to 2 litres of water for day 1 (if you need more you can buy it at the small shops at the villages)
- Very good Sun cream and sunglasses
- Trekking shoes or boots / Waterproof rain jacket
- Warm layers, sweater or jacket (important) –temperatures can reach lows of -10 celsius during the night in June and july.
- Shorts or pants for walking.
- Swimming suit, sandals, towel.
- Basics like toilet paper, etc
- Insects repellent
- Personal medications (if necessary)
- Hiking sticks (optional)
- Local money for snacks or drinks