Colca Canyon Top Classic – 2 days daily departures
- Salinas and Aguada Blanca National Reserve
- Highest point Patapampa (4,910 meters)
- Town of Chivay
- Town of Coporaque
- visit the hot springs
- Cruz del Condor view point
- Short hikes during the tour
- Yanque town.
Departures: Every day
Type service: Regular with a Group.
Extras: Transfer to or pick up from Puno city on Lake Titicaca can be added to program (this service have an extra charge)
¡More than a trip, we create unforgettable experiences!
Book this tour or create your own program with us!
If you don’t get a quickly response during the next 24 hrs . Please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by Call: 51 54 200100
Payment with Visa card.
After we have confirmed your program or tour; your Giardino agent will provide you with a “Visa link” and a “purchase number” in order that you proceed with your payment in a safe form.
We will depart at 7:30 am from Arequipa, driving 160 km to the town of Chivay, capital of the Province of Caylloma. At the beginning of our excursion we will enjoy the majestic views of the Misti, Chachani and PichuPichu volcanoes before approaching the National Reserve of “Salinas y Aguada Blanca”, where our transportation will make a short stop to observe the wild Vicuñas (one of the 4 types of American camels) in its natural habitat. At this point we will be about 4,000 meters above sea level. Moving on we will arrive to “Alto Sumbay”, an Andean community at the opposite border of the reserve.
Here you might enjoy the natural formation of rocks and the view to the backside of the Misti and Chachani volcanoes. To prevent altitude sickness we will have an original Andean “Mate de Coca” drink or another hot drink in a rustic restaurant on the road (service of bathrooms are here available).
Continuing on the road we will pass “Tocra”, a high plain at more than 4,400 meters, where we will observe lakes with wild birds and get pictures of the “Antiplano” with its Llamas and Alpacas. The highest point of our tour will be “Pata Pampa” (Pata=high, Pampa=land) located at 4,910 meters, where we’ll observe the volcanoes Ampato, Sabancaya, Hualca-Hualca, Mismi (the source of the Amazon River), and the “Cordillera de Chila”. When we are getting close to the town of Chivay (3,651 meters) we will start to wonder at the spectacular multicolor view of the terraces of the Colca valley.
We keep our drive until Coporaque town and visit the Lodge La Casa de Mamayacchi, where we will have our lunch (cost of lunch is not included in program).
After lunch your guide will invite you to a short walk through Coporaque and its surroundings (this walk takes around 1 hour and is optional).
We’ll come back to our transportation and visit a natural “hot springs” , where we will enjoy a relaxing bath (entrance fee and personal towels to the baths are not included).
After this exciting day we will bring you to your hotel or lodge.
We will have our breakfast very early in the morning and leave to the famous “Cruz del Condor” point. Arrive to “Cruz del Condor” and time enough to have an enjoyable view of the deep of the Canyon and if the weather permits; majestic pictures of the flight of the Condors.
After a coordinated time, our guide will take you for a short walk near the Canyon (1 hour aprox.) On the way back to Chivay we’re going to visit the traditional village of Pinchollo and the “Antahuilque viewpoint”, where a 1,500 year old terraces, can be observed. We also will make a stop at the look-out point of “Choquetico” with its hanging tombs “Tumbas colgantes“, and take a look to the litomaqueta, a model of the canyon terraces carved in a rock. We will continue visiting Maca, an Andean community that experienced an earthquake in November of 1991 and the village of Yanque with the most beautiful church in the valley.
Lunch in Chivay town (Cost of Lunch is not included in program) and return to Arequipa city.
Option with extra charge: We offer as an extra option a transfer from Chivay town to Puno city on Lake Titicaca – (Additional cost)
The program includes:
- Tourist transportation (not older then 5 years)
- English guide.
- Accommodation in selected hotel + Breakfast buffet
- Giardino agente assistance 24/7.
The Program does not include:
- Tourist ticket to the Colca valley (About $19, P.P)
- Excursions not mentioned in this program
- Tips, meals (lunch and dinner)
- Entrances to the hot springs, towels, beverages and/or other extras.
Colca 3 days sharing half day with a Villager.
*Transfer or pick from Puno city can be added to the program (additional cost)
¡More than a trip, we create unforgettable experiences!
TO READ BEFORE THE TOUR
Altitude sickness, also known as acute mountain sickness (AMS), or “Soroche” in Perú is a group of symptoms that can strike if you walk or climb to a higher elevation, or altitude, too quickly.
– Feeling tired
– Loss of appetite
– Sleep issues
– Heavy breathing
– Increased cardiac rhythm
– Digestive issues
How to prevent it:
– Hydration is important. It is recommended to drink at least 2 or 3 liters of water a day to help your body acclimatize
– Eat healthy and consequently. You may experience loss of appetite but your body needs energy, carbohydrates such as pasta, bread, potatoes, fruits and flour based products will help stabilize your energy levels.
– Avoid alcohol, coffee, sodas, salt and unhealthy food
– Your body needs generally about 3 to 5 days to acclimatize above 2500 meters of altitude (8000 ft.). Resting is important. Pillows to sleep at a 30 degrees angle is recommended
– Coca leaves, although illegal in the US, help a lot improving your condition in altitude. You can either chew it or drink it in a tea. A cup or two in the morning will already help a lot.
Giardino Tours commits to:
– Providing bathroom breaks when it’s needed during the tour.
– 24h assistance from the guide to help you in any matter
– Oxygen is provided in vehicles and hotels. Transfer to a nearby hospital will be provided if ever needed with assistance of a doctor.
– Giving you tips and recommendations.
You can download this information as PDF here.